The Ramthun Family

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Nolan Harold

Uncle Adam sent us a link to this lady's blog and I have read it so many times since then and almost all of her other posts.  She is an amazing writer and most of what she writes is exactly how I feel.  I wanted to share with others so they can read some of her entries.  Below is the link to her blog and I have copied the post that Adam sent to us below. 
She has a 10 year old daughter with severe disabilities and takes care of her at home. 
http://www.whatiwouldtellyou.com/what-i-see/

What I See

by Julie on September 4th, 2014

So many look at you and see your limitations and your medical fragility. Some want to look but turn away not wanting to appear rude. Others look too long and I refrain from telling them to “Eff off.” To the majority of onlookers, you are a child with disabilities; a “poor little girl” and a “very sad situation.”
Sometimes I wish they could see what I see. I don’t blame them for their limitations because before I got to know you, I, too, saw a baby that was disabled and sick and I could barely see anything else through my angry tears. As time passed, my grand wishes for you dwindled until the only thing that really mattered was that you lived one more day. That was all. The dreams I once had for you were nothing short of miracles: walking, talking, eating orally despite what our seasoned neurologist predicted. But all of those dreams slipped away with the months and then years that passed.
But as the dreams and yearnings vaporized, something even more magical took their place. By letting go of the things I wished you could do and be, I made room for seeing you as you are. As you grew, so did my perceptions of how things should be. In fact, after some time, the word “should” no longer had a place in my vocabulary. Eventually, I no longer compared you to others because I finally saw you for who you were.
I have the privilege of seeing past all of the things that everyone else can’t help but see. Instead, I see your brilliance which cannot be dimmed by a brain that doesn’t function the way it was intended to. Through your eyes, I connect with your spirit and I know that you ‘get’ so much more than we know. Your body may have you trapped unable to run and dance and skip and twirl, but when I hold you in my arms and you look right into my eyes, I see YOU~ your essence and your pureness and that magnificent light that each one of us embodies.
I no longer have expectations like I used to. We have learned to just go with it; no longer burdened by developmental milestones, shattered dreams, broken hearts. My only wish now is that everyone else could really see you the way I do.


Nolan,
Since the day you were born we have prayed and hoped that you would know how much we love you and that will never change.  You are such a blessing to our family and have taught us so much a long this journey filled with peaks and valleys.  We have learned that you take each day and enjoy the little smiles and silly grins that you give us because there may be days and weeks we go without them.  You have taught us that being close to family is the most important thing and they are always there for you in the darkest times and celebrating with you in happiest of times!  Your little brother has learned so much from you and we are so proud of what he will grow up knowing from you.  He knows that you are not the same as him and that you have limitations but he still talks to you and kisses you and pretends with you like you are the same.  He asks questions and is curious and sometimes uses your inability to talk to his advantage but we know he loves you more than you will ever know.  Soon you will  be a big brother again and we know you will teach him or her just as much about life and compassion.  If only everyone could look at you and see what they see in you!  I can't believe that you are almost 5 1/2 years old, something we never thought would happen when the doctors were talking to us 5 years ago.  You have proven the doctors wrong time and time again and we know you are still with us today because you have more to show us and teach us.  I can't wait to see what the next years hold for you and pray that they only bring you comfort and stability. 
We love you Nolan Harold!

No comments:

Post a Comment